Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Post 3 - Sushi

Well, I finally got my internship for baking. I start my first day at a vegan bakery tomorrow. Posts will follow shortly afterwards.

Hours-wise, I'm halfway done with my sushi externship. Honestly, this experience has become horrible. I can't ask for help because then I lose responsibilities and I can't make mistakes because then I get yelled at.
I'm trying my absolute best to do a good, respectable job so I can just get through this and move on to better places of employment. I feel quite frustrated and don't know how to improve the situation.

One thing I have done was helping to make the sushi vinegar. We make it in big batches and use as needed. We combine the rice wine vinegar with some seasonings before stirring in a lot of sugar, letting it sit, and stirring again. The end taste should be salty sugar. That I expected, but we also added some other strange things like a nori sheet and lemon wedges.

Another thing I tried about a week about was making sashimi for the first type, which is a raw fish (or whatever the topping is) atop a small portion of rice. It's much harder than it looks to do. It begins with having the fish laid out on your palm and placing the rolled rice onto it. It's shaped with your fingers while they're in somewhat of a claw position. You can then flip it into that hand so that it can be transferred back right side up. After that, it just must be shaped until it looks good. I'm still getting the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment