Friday, July 8, 2011

Battle Scars - Pastry 1

Finally secure with an internship at a vegan bakery, I can start my journey into becoming a professional baker! Not the exact type of work I was hoping to do, but as long as I'm having fun and learning in a bakeshop, I'm as happy as a clam.
So I've put a few days in at the bakery so far and it's been just lovely! Everyone's quite nice, the recipes are understandable,and the goods are delicious!

It's a very small bakery but I'm used to working in confined locations so it doesn't bother me too much. Things are nicely labeled and organized which I most definitely appreciate. I'm getting the hang of where most things can be found, and if I don't know, I can just ask.

For a long time now, I've worried about working in a professional environment of my dream career. Messing up here would be such an incredible blow to my self esteem. Luckily, I'm actually pretty happy with what I've been doing so far. I've made a ton of cookies, some doughs, and cupcakes. Everything's been turning out pretty well. Also, though I know it has more to do with the weather than my own skills, the extremely temperamental chocolate chip cookie recipe has been producing very high yields when I've been making it!
I am seeing times when I could have been more productive, though. I need to start looking ahead more so that a ton of work doesn't pile on at once. I'm sure I'll learn though.

Oh, and why do I have the title of this post as "Battle Scars?" Quite simple really. My long-time fear of burning myself on an oven has finally been realized. I have two lovely burn marks on my right hand and wrist. Awesome. I guess that this is just part of the territory for a (clumsy) baker, haha~
I'm actually really looking forward to going back again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment