Monday, June 13, 2011

Post 2 - Sushi

I'm now slowly becoming more accustomed to working with sushi. Gradually I'm learning all of the normal procedures for how to do things around here and I'm making more kinds of rolls.
Although what we do varies day to day, my general routine is as follows:

1. Make mixture for spicy tuna rolls.
2. Make rolls for our regular catering order; I make 2 spicy tuna, 2 spicy tuna w/ avocado, 2 California, 1 Alaskan.
3. Go downstairs (kitchen is in basement) for more supplies
4. Prep more ingredients for sushi, including cucumbers, avocado, daikon radish (garnish), lettuce (garnish), parsley (garnish), shrimp, baked tuna, spicy crab meat mix, and some other things.
5. Separate fish (tuna) from connective tissue for more spicy tuna mix as well, which is fun but messy!
6. About now is the lunch rush so I usually do some rolls about now, depending on what people order.
7. After that we clean up, get any other supplies we need, finish prepping the cucumbers, and finally break.
8. Of course, if any orders come in we'll do them.
As well, periodically throughout the day we need to make more rice of course!

Today, something I did for the first time was make the rice all by myself. Usually Jack is with me but today I was able to do in on my own. It came out good! It is rather simple though. Just needed to get the rice, put it in a strainer in a mesh cloth, rinse it, and put it in our rice cooker with water and set it to cook. One thing to note is that unlike everyday long-grain rice, sushi/short-grain rice doesn't need double the amount of water. For 6 cups of rice, we use 6 1/4 C water. Also, sushi rice is INCREDIBLY sticky though. I didn't think to wet the cloth that we place over the rice to help keep the rice warm and the rice stuck to it like crazy.

Also, today at home I actually decided to make some California rolls! I just can't get enough, I suppose. It was a lot more difficult than it usually it at work unfortunately, but the rolls still came out pretty alright regardless.




Also, I finished up a cake I was working on tonight so I'll include that because...why not? It's el Pastel de Tres Velas~~ and it has real candles in the cake "candles" because I thought it'd be clever. It's my first real foray into turning the realm of cakes into fine art. It's just some cliche idea of the candles representing the stages of life.

But yeah, out for now. Got an interview tomorrow! Hope it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment